Lodge St. John No. 187, Carluke.

The First 200 Years - Part One

 

             Part One of Three

 

 LODGE ST. JOHN NO. 187,

              CARLUKE.

 

                         st-john-large.gif

 

       The First 200 Years

 

 

                                  AUTHOR'S NOTES

 

Preparing a History of the Lodge can, as far as possible, be related from
the many minute books, which have been written and accrued throughout its
lengthy existence. These minutes, although perhaps complete, do not in those
very early years allow a complete bibliography to be prepared. Perhaps the small
lapses in written records were due to the initial lack of competent recorders, or
more likely, the importance of such records was not so apparent to our early
founders. The length of the early minutes of those meetings vary according to the
amount of business discussed and, to some extent, the penmanship of the
successive secretaries.

This narration is, of necessity, but a passing glance, noting only the most
outstanding features and omitting much that many will feel might well have
been recorded. A chronicle, mainly compiled from the Minutes of a Lodge, is but
the dry bones which memory and imagination will clothe and vivify into life.
The regular routine of Lodge proceedings, of the painstaking work of our Masters,
Past Masters, Secretaries, Treasurers, and other Office-bearers, of the generous
gifts bestowed by members, of many nameless acts of benevolence and fraternal
love that cement the brotherhood, and make up a goodly portion of our
transactions, these are not recorded here. They are fully recorded in our minutes
and effectively engraven in letters of gold on the tablets of memory.

In consequence, the author of this "History", has prepared a précis of
events and "highlights" which it is hoped will serve as an interesting and
enlightening Historical Sketch.

                           Stuart Picture.jpg

          The late  Bro. STUART GREGORY, P.M. 187.

 

  

Carluke 1794

 

The village of Carluke in the year 1794, can be best described as having a
most uninviting aspect. All the houses were low and thatched, the only street
(High Street), was a mire all the year round. There were thirty three houses in
High Street and a further 10 buildings in the older portion of the village, called
in past times, Kirkstyle.

 A deep ill-conditioned ditch held its interrupted way in front of the houses
on each side of the street, over which every dwelling had what was called a "brig
stane" for safe entry. Standing where the cross is now, tilted carts were to be seen
here and there in the sludge, all the way along the street, and there was
accumulations of filth which yielded a varied fragrance. It was no uncommon
thing to hear a careful mother, on a child venturing to the door, crying - "Tak
care 0' the shuch Titty, or ye'll be droon't".

 Carluke was a Burgh of Barony, with places of public worship, schools, a
public library, a weekly market, and four fairs annually. The residents were
entitled to all the advantages of the Barony, such as the use of quarries, an
inexhaustible moss for fuel, manure, divots, a considerable extent of common
ground, numerous springs and wells of water with bleaching greens attached to
each of them. A windmill had been erected for making meal and barley for the
inhabitants. There was an abundance of scotch fir and other wood for the making
and finishing of houses which could be purchased at an easy rate. There were
bakers, butchers and every other trade requisite for an extensive population. The
Glasgow and Stirling mail coaches would, in a few years time, pass daily, but
there were numerous carriers and a regular post had been established.

 There were two small factories in operation, one for weaving and the other
for hosiery operations. The population of Carluke at that time, discounting the
other seventeen districts, was 383. The entire parish was 1730.

 The Beginning

Following a successful petition to the Grand Lodge of Scotland, supported
by certificates from St. Johns, Hamilton No. 7 and St. Marys, Coltness No. 31, a
charter was granted on 5th day of May, 1794, for the formation of a Lodge in
Carluke, to be called "St. Johns Lodge, Carluke". 

                The Office Bearers for this first year were:-

 
 THOMAS LAURIE                 RW. Master 
 THOMAS PATERSTON          Dep. Master 
 ROBERT HAMILTON            Sen. Warden 
 ANDREW MARTIN                Jun. Warden 
 JAMES PARCELL                 Secretary
 JOHN PRENTICE                 Treasurer 
 CHARLES LANG                  Steward 
 WILLIAM LAURIE                Tyler

 After the excitement and pleasure of the Inauguration Ceremony, the Lodge
undoubtedly got down to holding its regular meetings, which have carried on
with only some small interruptions for the next 200 years. 

 The Roll of The Grand Lodge

 Masonic records indicate that our Lodge on the Roll of The Grand Lodge
of Scotland, held the number 251 until the year 1816 when it was changed to 183.
This number was again altered in 1822 to the number 197 and within only four
years was again revised, this time to the number 187 which it has held with pride
to the present time.

The first recorded entrant into the Lodge was a William Duncan (hozier)
in 1795. 

 The Early Years

 Circa 1798, the nation was aroused with fear and indignation as it was expected
that an invasion of our country was imminent. Funds were needed to raise an
army and the Earl of Hyndford took charge of the movement to arrange a "Free
Gift" scheme from the parish of Carluke. The word was spread around the parish
from the pulpit and by all the societies that Napoleon had a flotilla gathering on
the coast of France ready to receive his army and set sail for Britain. The 340
families’ resident in our parish raised the sum of £330 towards the fund.

 During this year, the new Mill Tower was built at the top of Windmill Brae
(Chapel Street), which greatly increased the quantity of material processed for
the local and outlying farmers.

The power and influence of the Church around the turn of the Nineteenth century
can best be demonstrated by the presence of "The Joggs" at the principal door to  
the old kirk. These were a jointed collar of iron suspended by a chain for placing
on the necks of offenders against certain rules or laws of the church. The 
culprit was thus chained to the door - cheek, subject to the gaze of all. The 
"Nose Clips" acted as a companion to the foregoing as another instrument, similarly 
suspended, and also used in the punishment of sin.

 

Any organisation or society which brought together groups of people, and
particularly those which met secretly, were viewed with mistrust and suspicion
by the church. The Lodge had subsequently to be very careful not to transgress
in any of its activities on the churches domain. John Hamilton and James Hamilton,
both sons of Major Charles Hamilton of Fairholm, a descendant of Lord James
Hamilton of Hallcraig. were both members of the Lodge, and by virtue perhaps
of their fathers donation to the building of the new kirk in 1799 of £150 and a free
site for its erection, would perhaps have helped to give the Lodge some credence
and respects with much of the population.

 Throughout the Lodge's history, there have been many imposing and
dignified ceremonies. Possibly one of the earliest was the laying of the foundation
stone at the parish church in Lesmahagow on the 21st March, 1803.

 The manner of the procession was minutely recorded for posterity. Those
present at the meeting, were all uniformly clothed with their respective jewels
and ornaments, colours flying, when they walked in the following order:-

 a) Band of Music in front

 b) The Undertaker with his apparatus

 c) The Operatives who carried the requisites for laying the stone

 d) The Grand Lodge

 e) Canongate Kilwinning

 f) The Lesmahagow Lodge, James Corbett Esq. acting as Master

 g) The Lanark Lodge, Robert Dundas McQueen Esq. Master

 h) Strathaven Lodge

 i) Carluke Lodge

 j) Muirkirk Lodge

 k) The gentlemen attending as individuals

 l) The Stewards in their proper places.

 The procession marched from the Lodge room through the village, to the
East corner of the Church, where the stone was laid by Daniel Vere Esq. of
Stonebyres, the present Master of Lesmahagow. The same Daniel Vere of
Stonebyres would in later years become the Provincial Grand Master of the
Lanarkshire Upper Ward. 

  Rules and Regulations

 One of the earliest recorded minutes of the St. Johns Carluke Lodge, are
dated December 27th, 1814. Forty-five members met on that day and celebrated
the festival of St. John and unanimously approved the "New Body of Articles".
Some examples of these "Articles" which were duly signed and agreed by 72
members are as follows:-

 Article 8 How to Address the Master

 No member is to speak but once on the same affair unless to explain himself,
or when called upon from the chair to speak, and everyone who speaks, shall
rise and address himself in a proper manner to the Master: Nor shall any
person presume to interrupt him under the penalty of Twopence unless the
Master finds him wandering from the point in hand and think proper to reduce
him to order, then the said member shall sit down; but after he has been set
r
ight, he may proceed again if he pleases.

 Article 9 Members Behaving Improperly 

If any member comes into the Lodge intoxicated, or shall curse, swear, give
any approbious or provoking language, or create any disturbance toward
any of
the Society during the time of meeting, he shall be ordered by the
Master, to withdraw directly for the night, and fined in One Shilling
Sterling to be paid next meeting wherewith if he does not comply instantly
he shall be expelled the Lodge.

Article 10 Power invested in the Master

If in the Lodge, any person is twice called to order at any meeting, for
transgressing these rules, and is guilty of said offence of the same nature,
the Master shall peremptorily order him to leave the Lodge room for the
night, and whoever shall be so rude as to maltreat or ridicule any Brother
on accou
nt of what he says, or has said, he shall forthwith be excluded the
Lodge, unless he at any time hereafter, publicly own his fault, and engages
to behave with propriety in all time coming, and his grace be granted. It
being at the same time understood that the Master has the power of punishing
all smaller offences unspecified, at his discretion.

Article 16 Aliment to whom Due

If any Brother, who has been three years a member of the Society, and clear
of the books (accordin
g to the allowances made in article 6) fall sick, by
ap
plying to the Master in writing, upon the sixth day of his illness, he shall
receive on the seventh day the sum of Five Shillings Sterling, and the same
sum wee
kly, if confined to the house; and Four Shillings weekly if walking
a
bout unable to follow his employment. Any Brother at a distance applying
for Aliment shall certify his illness upon the sixth day, signed by a minister
and two elders, or by a Magistrate of the place where he resides. The
Managers shall have a power to send a surgeon to visit any member they
t
hink imposing on the Society.

 Article 18 Distressed Members now Debarred

As the funds of the Lodge are intended for the relief of distressed members,
it is hereby specifically provided, that if any member bring trouble on
himself by drunkenness, rioting or irregular practices of any kind, he hereby
deprives
himself of any benefit from the Lodge, during his illness so
contracted.

 Having agreed to the Articles for the government of their Lodge, the
Brethren then proceeded to the Election of the Office-bearers for the following
year:

 "They then paraded through the town accompanied by the Carluke Band of Music
for which they rece
ived Three Pounds Sterling. They then sat down to dinner after which
being supplied with Ammunition, the Brethren began work with the true spirit and
abi
lities of good Masons, during which a character gained admission upon the
recomme
ndation of a visiting brother, but being observed to handle his tools awkwardly,
he was ordered to withdraw and examined, and being found entirely in the dark he was
put to the test and obliged to deposit One Pound Sterling till he could produce a Certificate
f
rom his Mother Lodge. The remaining part of the evening being spent in that Harmony
a
nd Love which is the characteristic of Free Masonry, the Lodge was shut at the usual
time with certification".

 On the 5th January, 1815, the Lodge had cash on hand amounting to
£20;16;6p. The members agreed to send ten pounds sterling to the Bank of Scotland
and three pounds thirteen shillings and ninepence to the Grand Lodge of Scotland
being the dues for eleven entrants during the year 1814.

The members further agreed that the lodge be moved "from their present
room to Thomas Cassels (vintner) Carluke where they shall meet for the future. The
change being made on account of Mrs Weirs unmannerly conduct towards the lodge as
a body and other causes". Thomas Cassels was the proprietor of the HEAD INNS

Carluke and the Dep. Master of the Lodge. 

 The Grand Lodge Squabble

 At a special meeting of the Lodge in August 1816, the Brethren were called
upon to consider a decision made by Grand Lodge against the election of the
New Master at St. John No. 22 Lanark. (An objection had been lodged as to the
character of the elected master). The members of Carluke agreed by a majority
of eighty four votes to secede from the Grand Lodge until such time as they
receive the opinion of the different Lodges of the Upper Ward of Lanarkshire.
Carluke Lodge were in full approbation with their Brothers from Lanark.

A provincial meeting was called to be held at Lesmahagow to discuss the
"Tyrannical proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Scotland". The Brethren of St. John
Carluke, as was the custom at the time, elected certain members to form the
deputation, giving strict instruction that should the Master chosen by the
Grand Lodge of Scotland for the Lanark Lodge be present at the meeting, our deputation
should withdraw. This Brother was indeed present, and the Deputations from
Carluke, Lanark, Biggar and Douglas all retired.

A further meeting of the Lodges from the Upper Ward of Lanarkshire and
the Middle Ward was called and indeed took place despite a written instruction
from the Grand Lodge that the meeting would be improper and should be recalled.
The Lodges of Carluke, Biggar, Douglas, Carnwath, Strathaven and Lanark did
in fact meet and unanimously adopted that the election of the Lanark Master by
the members of their Lodge, was legal, and the Grand Lodge interference was
unjust. The decision was inserted in the Glasgow Chronicle.

The Grand Lodge subsequently instructed Provincial Grand Lodge to inform
St. John Carluke, that if an apology was not received, expulsion may be the
result. Carluke replied that no apology was necessary as they considered they
were correct in their decision. Over the course of the next calendar year, the
Lodges of St. David’s Lanark, Biggar, Coltness and Strathaven St. John respectively
declined to associate with our Lodge as they had been instructed by a higher
authority. The Lodges of Lockhart St. John Carnwath and Lanark Lodge, continued
to visit and mix with our ancient brethren. Many of the members at Lanark, not
accepting the earlier decree of the Grand Lodge, were continuing to meet under
the regularly elected Master as the "Lanark Lodge". This body was not recognised
by Grand Lodge, and all lodges were under the rules of the society denied any
intercourse with this body of men.

Grand Lodge apparently called in the Lodge funds and the Depute Master
and Treasurer had to appear with a Justice of the Peace to "qualify agreeably" to
the Grand Lodges request for an extract of the Lodges Books to be presented to
them through the auspices of the Sheriff Court. Despite the funds now as a result
being reduced to £2;3;4p, the Lodge continued to meet and parade through the
village, headed by the Carluke Band of Music, then convene for an evening of
harmony and friendship.

The whole matter was finally brought before a quarterly communication at
Freemasons Hall, Edinburgh, on the 29th April 1821 some five years later,
following the written complaint of the St. Johns Lodge, Lanark No. 19 (formerly
No. 23). The matter to be resolved was the holding of Masonic Intercourse with
a body, namely the "Lanark Lodge", which was the "Imitation of a Lodge". The
Lodges against which the charges were brought were Douglas St. Bride No. 116,
St. Johns Carluke No. 197 (formerly No. 251), St. David’s New Lanark No. 207,
Carnwath Lockhart St. Johns Lodge No. 252 and the Coltness Lodge in the Middle
Ward.

It was further stated that these Lodges took part in a procession at the
laying of the Foundation Stone at the Cartland Bridge, where the regular Masons
of "Lanark Lodge" were present, and that the Brethren from Carluke later went
to harmony with them. The Lodges were in consequence, requested to answer
the charges before Grand Lodge at the next Communication.

 In our Lodge's defence, it was stated that as all the Lodges in question
consisted of most respectable Brethren, and had erred more from inadvertence
than intention, and that while they had admitted their guilt in a greater or less
degree, all had acknowledged their respect for and willingness to obey all the
Mandates of the Grand Lodge. Each Lodge, it was stated, had expressed their
contrition for what had happened.

The Judgement of Grand Lodge was:-

  1. That all the Lodges were guilty of acting in a disrespectful manner to the
    Grand Lodge, particularly disobeying the positive injunctions of that body
    and may in consequence be justly subject to the highest Masonic
    punishment, expulsion of individuals and the withdrawal of their Lodges
    charter
  2. These Lodges were guilty of such offences having attended a procession
    conducted by those persons who pretend to be Lanark Lodge.
  3. As the Lodges hold Grand Lodge in Great Veneration, and being anxious
    to show by deeds their sincerity and respect for Grand Lodge, instead of
    inflicting such punishment upon the parties complained off, Grand Lodge
    would declare that they prohibit and discharge all Lodges from holding
    any Masonic intercourse with others assuming the name of Lanark.
Little of what ultimately transpired after this meeting is known, but there
is no doubt that through these trying years, the character of the Lodge was
upheld by the well timed and untiring exertions of a few spirited individuals.

The town of Carluke continued to grow, and the year 1823 saw the
completion of the Stirling to Carlisle turnpike road, which had a stopping place
in the market square. The market place in the centre of the town was where fairs
were held every March, May, July and October.

Continuing the Lodges disputes with Grand Lodge, in 1828 the Lodge was
told that if they did not clear their arrears as required by the Laws, the St. Johns
Lodge Carluke would be erased from the register of Grand Lodge. The Brethren
then resolved at the meeting of October that year, to pay all the arrears due.

The Early Harmonies

A typical minute of the conclusion of the Festival of St. John circa 1829
reads-

"The Brethren then walked in procession through the village accompanied with
music. They then returned to the Lodge and sat down to an excellent dinner and afterwards
opened the Lodge in due form, and being supplied with plenty of ammunition, fired off
in good style, opening the evening in that harmony and hilarity which is the characteristic
of true Masonry".

 Or perhaps the minute of that time which reads:-

"The night was spent with a degree of humour and harmony which may sometimes
be equalled, but seldom excelled, in the promotion of which the visiting Lodges largely
con
tributed" .

Popular Inter Lodge visits at this time were held with Wilsontown St. John
Lodge, the Clydesdale Lodge Lanark and Carnwath Lodge.

Such was the nature of the meetings at these times, it appears that some
members were noting that a certain vintner was benefiting from all the Lodge
meetings. It was therefore passed that as two or three Brethren kept houses for
Public Entertainment (Inns or Pubs), it be only proper that until the Brethren can
afford to build a Lodge Room of their own, the Lodge be held for one twelve
month period in each of the said Brothers Houses in their turn. The Lodge was
then removed from Bro. Thomas Cassels Room, to those of Bro. James Cassels
who as well as being an Innkeeper (CROWN INN), was the Master in that year.

September 1831 it was passed that the Lodge purchase thirteen aprons for
the Office-Bearers. It was also agreed at the next meeting to limit the expenses
for refreshment after the meetings, to Threepence per head, collected from the
Brethren when they sat down after business was over.

The years 1831 to 1836 saw the chair of the Lodge occupied by James
Brown, Esq., of Orchard, who was the grand nephew of Margaret Forrest a
descendant of Thomas Forrest, "Wryter to his Majis Sygnet", one of the Committee
of War for the country appointed by King Charles II in 1646 and an elder at the
Kirk of Carluke.

In 1833 the Lodge met as usual at the Crown Inn and on the 21st February
of that year marched in procession with 'the Brethren of Wilsontown and the
Carluke Band to the site of the new Relief Church, to lay the foundation stone.                                                                                                                                                                                     This stone contains small bottles of wine and oil, copies of the newspapers of that
time, current coins of the realm and a document recording the origin of the
congregation. The sermon was conducted by a Mr Ramsay.

The Relief Church was established by a minister of the parish as a result
of his following the doctrines constituting what was to be known as the "Row
Heresy". A congregation was organised and in later years, this church became
the United Presbyterian Church. (The designation Kirkton was adopted in 1900
when the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church united).

An invitation from the Lanark Lodge to attend the laying of the foundation
stone at the New Jail in Lanark, was unanimously agreed and on the 21st March,
1834, the Brethren met at Lanark to join in the procession accompanied by the
Carluke Band. After arriving at Lanark, they partook of some refreshment at the
Burns Tavern and had dinner. They then proceeded to the Church and heard the
sermon. The parade then followed through the different streets to the site of the
building, where the foundation stone was laid by the M.W. Grand Master, Bro.
William Alexander, Marquis of Douglas, afterwards 11th Duke of Hamilton and
Brandon.

In 1834 it was known that Brother John Martin, a wood merchant, held the
office in the Parish of "Baron Baillie of the Barony of Kirkton, and Burgh of
Kirkton".

The Lodge Funds

As the original Articles of the Lodge stated that the Lodge Funds are
intended for the relief of distressed members, the state of the funds was always
of a prime concern to the Brethren. The collecting of dues or fines was very much
dependent on the support and attendance of members at the quarterly meetings
of the Lodge. The attendance at these meetings began to fall away around the
mid 1830's, to which end it was subsequently proposed at that time that the fines
for not attending the St. Johns Day Meeting should be reduced to one shilling
(An early example of the proverb" A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush").

The term Distressed Members, could and did cover many varying
descriptions of a Brother's problems. We must remember that these were times
long before the institution of unemployment benefit, sick pay, invalidity, insurance
policies or whatever, and to most, the Lodge was the only means of relieving
their distress through any of these situations. Every single Brother was only too
well aware of the importance of a healthy bank book in their Lodge, which
would in turn be available, if and when they were unfortunate enough to call for
assistance.

For many years, a great deal of the meetings were called on the quarterly
period, and there being no business, the Brethren would pay their
quarterly dues or fines then have an evening of pleasant harmony and
refreshment before shutting the Lodge.

A Notice of Motion was raised in 1838 by several Brethren, to form the
Lodge into a Friendly Society, which would thereby be given the power to disburse
the funds. This was defeated by a majority of the Brethren, and the distribution
of the funds was left at the discretionary hands of the Office Bearers. At the same
meeting, the Brother Tyler was granted the sum of ten shillings, as he had been
unable to work for a long period. After this particular disbursement, the entire
funds of the Lodge, the sum of £48:10s:7d was divided among the members of
the Lodge in a method proportionate to that which each had paid in. This being
concluded, the new joining fee having been reduced to £1 would now perhaps
make membership more within the reach of working gentlemen. Each new
member would be entitled to all rights and privileges as every other member of
the Lodge. This entrance fee was subsequently reduced to 14/- at a later meeting.

The number of entrants into the Lodge increased rapidly over the coming
years. In the year 1840 the Lodge held fourteen meetings and raised twenty one
candidates.

Following the Lodge's assistance in laying the foundation stone at Lanark
Grammar School House on 8th July, 1840, where they were once again led by the
Carluke Instrumental Band, for which the brethren paid the fee of £2:4/ -, a motion
was raised that the Band should be made members of the Lodge. A letter was
written to Grand Lodge to see if this would free the Band of its Lodge levies by
playing at Masonic processions.

On the 2nd July, 1841, Brother James Pettigrew's Hall at the Black Bull Inn
was consecrated as the new Lodge Room by P.M. James Brown of Orchard, and
headed by the Carluke (and the Lodge) Band of Music, a procession took place
and the new flag or colours were for the first time displayed.

Once again, and indeed in only the space of a few years; the Lodge set up
another friendly society within the organisation for the distribution of financial
assistance to those who were on hard times.

The years 1843 to 1856 were very difficult for the Lodge, and it is to be
doubted if in its entire history, did it go through such trying times. The Lodge
throughout these years was in grave decline, and for some thirteen years, the
lack of support and attendance resulted in the same team of Office Bearers being
elected each year. It is probable that most of the monies collected, were received
from a certain few individuals, and it is recorded in 1851 that the Brethren thought
it proper to present to the R.W.M. Bro. George Marshall, the portrait of the Duke
of Atholl as a mark of their esteem. The lack of support in the lodge, resulted in
there being no meetings between July 1851 and June 1856. At the meeting on
June 1856 (a meeting instigated by the return to the District of P.M. Bro. James
Cassels) a circular from the Grand Lodge of Scotland was read out, in which it
was again stated, as it had in previous years, that the St. John’s Lodge would be cut
off from all the privileges of the Grand Lodge of Scotland if they did not clear the six
years arrears. A letter was sent to Grand  Lodge requesting another month to raise  the
thirty shillings by subscription. This was granted, and within a fortnight the money
was raised and paid.

Throughout the history of any great organisation or Lodge, there must be
a few particular individuals who, by their devotions and unselfish love for what
they believe in, left an everlasting mark. Bro. James Cassels was without doubt
such a person. As far as can be ascertained from the records during this time, he
was initiated on 24th May, 1811. He was probably Master of the Lodge for the
first time in 1814, and throughout the next forty-two years held many offices,
including that of Depute Master seven times, Master twice, Secretary at least six
times, Senior Warden three times, and Steward many times. Bro. Cassels was an
Innkeeper, and proprietor of the Crown Inn, which hosted the Lodge Meetings
between the years 1831 and 1841. His return to the village in 1856 (his age must
have been around seventy), after some years absence, must have been a great
disappointment on discovering the Lodge had not met for the past five years,
and he very quickly aroused a fresh interest. On the 11th July, 1856, ten or twelve
of the Brethren met by appointment in the Lodge Room Black Bull Hall, when
it was agreed that all the Brethren were to be legally warned by letter to attend
the next meeting. At the close of this meeting, James Cassels recorded that the
Brethren enjoyed themselves for a short time with a little ammunition, a few
toasts, songs, and much hilarity on the prospect of the Lodge being restored to
its former dignity and honour by a few of its old Brotherhood.

Within weeks the Lodge was back in full swing having regular meetings
and initiating entrants into the Brotherhood. At these meetings, it was not
uncommon to have all the degrees conferred at the same meeting. At the next
festival of St. John, a new team of office bearers was elected and candidates came
forward in greater numbers.

The pattern had again been set for future years, with regular and quarterly
meetings, where the Brethren paid their monthly and quarterly dues, initiated
candidates into St. John’s Masonry, sent deputations when able to many important
and. historical events, looked after each other in times of stress, had their annual
parade accompanied by their Instrumental Brass Band and elected the next year's
office bearers.

Around Circa 1858, a motion was carried in the Lodge that each month,
every member should contribute one shilling to the society, and in return receive
six shillings per week aliment when unable to work.

On the 23rd June 1858, twenty-one Brethren plus the Instrumental Band,
went to Edinburgh by train, where they attended the Festival of laying the
foundation stone of the Grand Lodge of Scotland building. On their return, the
Brethren marched into Carluke from Braidwood Station headed by the Band. 

 First Lodge Dance

The Annual Ball, which has been a source of much enjoyment throughout
the Lodge's history, was first recorded as having taken place on the 26th
November, 1858. On that day, the Lodge met and carried out two degrees
followed by traditional refreshment.

At six o'clock p.m. "the Brethren put themselves into walking order headed by the
 Carluke Instrumental Band playing that Glorious Anthem ever dear to the Craftsmen,
we marched  through Carluke, being lighted by torchlight, we then came back to the
Black Bull from whence we went to Burnhead, where the Brethren, along with their wives
and sweethearts partook of a sumptuous dinner, which after they went to the Barn where
Mirth and Melody did abound, and where the company had the heart of high  enjoyment,  
which after the night enjoyment the meeting broke up at early in the morning. "

When the Lodge went to the laying of the Foundation Stone of the New
Courthouse, Wishaw, on the 6th July, 1859, they met at the appointed hour
which was 8.30 a.m., where the Lodge was opened and arrangements for the
days proceedings finalised. When the Band was ready, they marched to the
Station to the sound of their Glorious Anthem. At Wishaw Station, they gathered and
marched to Penders Hall where they were joined by other Lodges which had travelled
 a great distance. The march then proceeded to Lord Belhaven House, where they were
joined by Sheriff Allison the P.G.M. of Glasgow. They then returned through the streets
of the town to the site of the New Courthouse. Speeches were  made and the stone was laid.
On their return by train to Carluke Station and the  Lodge Room, a sumptuous dinner
was waiting. The meal being over, the meeting  was resumed and and a Brother was raised
in the First and Second degree.

In  August, another Deputation attended the laying of the Foundation Stone of the
Corn Exchange, Biggar for which the deputation  received fifteen shillings from the
Lodge to assist them paying their expense.
 

Please click here to access Part Two.