Lodge St. John No. 187, Carluke.

Our Lodge

Newlands Masonic Temple

In early 1911 an architect, Bro. James Chambers of Glasgow, was instructed to go ahead with the plans for a building which should be budgeted at £1,300.

In typical and traditional fashion, subsequent meetings where the plans were discussed, failed to get agreement with the Brethren, and it was finally decided to submit the plans for the three chosen alternative, to the W. Grand Architect in Edinburgh for his recommendations. His recommendations were duly accepted and it was further moved that the building schedules be restricted to companies within the parish.

                The accepted tenders were:-

                                Masonry Work                                  £481: 6: 1

                                Joiner Work                                     £517: 6: 5

                                Slater & Plaster Work                        £169: 8: 8

                                Plumber Work                                   £210: 3: 9

                                Painter Work                                      £49: 1: 1

                                Architect Fees                                    £70: 0: 0

                                Inspector for Building                          £10: 0: 0            

                                Washhouses & Coalhouses                   £28: 0: 0               

The recommendations of the Lodge was that the building be constructed in Auchenheath Stone, and should include the addition of Moorish Arches above the Wardens Chairs. The wish of the Brethren was that the new premises be called the Lady Newlands Masonic Temple, was considered by Grand lodge to be inappropriate, and the Newlands Masonic Temple was adopted and approved by Lord and Lady Newlands.

On the 23rd September, 1911 the Foundation Stone of the new building was laid by Lord Newlands using a Silver trowel gifted to him by the Lodge. Just less than one year later, on the 14th September, 1912 the new building was opened. The final account for the new building works was £1,520:14:6 and with the addition of the wash and coal houses plus the furniture, came to the grand total of £1,714:2:4. The Lodge agreed to take out a £400 loan from the Bank of Scotland to settle all its accounts in respect of this.

The Lodge Building from across the Market Place


 If you wish explore our Lodge further please click here.